Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

March 9, 2022

Spartan Arizona Super and Sprint, February 26-27, 2022

Oddly,  I know a lot about the quality of mud in many locations around the country.  Thanks to Spartan, of course.  The fact that it took two days to wash the mud out of my hair after racing in Colorado Springs has caused me to not want to go back there and race again.  And I don't even have much hair to worry about! Well, the tiny little cactus spines in my palms from the barbwire crawl might also have something to do with my reticence as well....   

The mud in Mesa, AZ dried a stiff layer onto my gaiters and shoes until they could stand up without any propping.  Thankfully there was no dunk wall (although it was listed on the race map) or I would have been able to use my shorts and shirt as a display without needing a mannikin.   Actually, there was only about 20 feet of gooey mud on the whole course, and the rest of it was dry and flat as a day old pancake.   

It made for fast running, and I had my fastest average pace ever for a Spartan, just about 10 1/2 minute miles.  12-16 min per mile is more typical for me if there are actual hills.   The course was in a newly built sports center just East of Phoenix-Mesa airport.   Aside from a few spiny trees, the only bumps in the whole race were man-made obstacles of wood and metal.   

The biggest bummer of the weekend was that I ran smack into the first obstacle on the course, a 5 foot wall, and really banged a nerve in my wrist.  It still hurts now a couple weeks later but I went on to finish 4 Spartan races over the weekend so obviously not life-threatening!

A newly clarified rule for this season was that you had to attempt each obstacle.   So I actually tried the Olympus wall, and to my surprise, I finished it!  Who knew.  Then I threw away that advantage by missing the spear throw and slipping off the bar in the multi-rig.  In my defense, my hand didn't slip but the whole bar rotated 360 as it wasn't held by chains but rather tie-down straps.  I was more careful the next time I went through it and was fine.  

Even with the penalty loops, I still managed first place in my age group, due in some part to the fact that the National Series race was also today in Jacksonville, Florida.  I love that course and was partly sad I wasn't there instead.  I do miss slogging through the Florida mud!  

So 6.3 miles on the Super distance in 1:06:09, which didn't seem so bad, so I did it again right away.  Spartan is allowing multiple laps again this year for season pass holders, and I had to stick around for the awards ceremony anyway so it was an easy choice.  My second lap was at an easier pace but with one less penalty loop so I finished in 1:11:40.  And that's with a bit more waiting with a mass of Open racers at the obstacles.    I missed Olympus this time but got everything else.  

Sunday morning had me back again, a little tired and sore, for another perfect day of racing.  Warm but not hot, dry and sunny and not a speck of mud on the dusty Sprint course.   It was only three miles, but I tried to ration my speed a little bit, and was neck and neck with the woman who finished just behind me the day before.   She gained a few seconds on me near the finish, but missed the spear, and so I finished 1st again in 34 minutes.    That didn't seem like it was enough exercise for the day, so I ran it for a second time.   

Of course, running with the Open racers in the second round, I had to fight my way through crowded, slower teams of people helping each other through the course.  One particular team all seemed to be afraid of heights, and I got stuck behind them on the vertical cargo net.  It's about 10 feet high, and there were people stuck all over it (not moving) in various states of seeming paralysis, like water bugs on a screen door.   Bless their souls, the team members below them on all sides were cheering about as loud as I have ever heard at a Spartan race.  

My next big events is an attempt on a 100 mile race in late March on Antelope Island near my house.    I'm currently hoping that our recent snowfall melts off, as running on icy trails wouldn't be in the cards.  We will see.  https://www.buffalorunadventures.com/buffalo-run/













No comments:

Post a Comment