Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

September 29, 2021

Mt. Timpanogos, 11,752 ft., 26 Sep 2021

 

It's starting to feel like fall.   The pavement doesn't seem to want to melt the soles of my shoes anymore, and the trees in the mountains are turning gorgeous colors of yellow and orange.  Limhi and Deb both said they wanted to hike Mt. Timpanogos, so we found a day that would work for all of us at set off at 7 am sharp.  

Jim and I had done this summit as an overnight, but that's been 5 years ago now, and I can't believe I haven't been back there.   It's so much nicer than Lone Peak, and I've done that several times in the last couple of years!  The Timponeeke trail on the NE side of the summit is a really well maintained trail with at least a little water still running on a day in late summer.   It's actually nicely graded and switch-backed, so never gets as steep and rough as some other trails in the Wasatch.  

We let Limhi take the first lead, which set us on power-hiking mode, and we didn't let up, reaching the summit in about 3 hours.  I kept exclaiming, "this is so easy compared to Lone Peak!"  After a sandwich at the top, Limhi and I decided to run back down, which was fine with me.  This was my last big training hike for my 24 hour Spartan race coming up, so I could use a little running time.  

Deb decided that she would be much more sensible and enjoy the fall colors by not running down.  She took most of the photos I've added here as I didn't see much more than the rocks a step ahead of each foot I was planting.   Limhi and I managed to run all the way down in about 2 hours, picking our way through the slower rocky sections a tad more gingerly.  

It was an absolutely gorgeous day as you can see from the photos!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment