Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

March 30, 2021

Spartan Las Vegas Super and Sprint, March 27-28, 2021

 Masks. Outdoors. Sigh.      Rant over. 



We had the most amazing weather for this race.    Sunny, warm but not hot, calm, did I say sunny?  After camping last week in mostly miserable weather this was great.  Jim and I had the Sprinter van, and we could take a shower behind it after our races and actually feel warm.  Wow.  I'm ready for summer.  

The Super on Saturday was run in perfect conditions.  We took a stroll down the calm Virgin River, which thankfully was not flooding like the last time we raced here.   I scraped across the Olympus Wall by the skin of my teeth, and lost a little skin on my knees there as well.   We didn't have to crawl through a sloppy cow pasture like a past race here, but to punish us for that blessing, the barbed wire crawl was up and down on the hills of the motorcross park, rock hard like gravel.  I gained a few bruises from rolling through it, and a noteworthy gash from the barbed wire on my shoulder that made me look bloody tough.  Ha.  

I wasn't at my best but close enough I suppose, after some drinking and overeating while camping.  I did sort of expect to podium but surprisingly finished 5th....this particular race always seems to pull the best racers from this side of the country...who doesn't want an excuse to go to Las Vegas?   Even if we really were in Mesquite....

Sunday's Sprint was equally great weather, and Jim joined me to do this one.   This time I felt really fast, but still finished 5th to probably the same fast women as yesterday.   But over two days I was very happy to be burpee free.  Now to just figure out how to run faster.  







No comments:

Post a Comment