Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

December 29, 2015

Pioneer Park and Slot Canyon, St. George, Utah

Top of the slot canyon
Just off Interstate 15 through the town of St. George is a tiny slot canyon.  It's only about 100 feet long, but at only about one foot wide for some of it, it might make you wonder if your buttons will pop off your pants before you get through!

We were passing through on our way to a family reunion, but also wanted to scope out St. George for an upcoming race.  The Happy Mutant 72 Hour Adventure Race will be held from 15 - 18 January, 2016.    The race is supposed to include bicycling, canyoneering, caving, hiking and orienteering.  My teammates and I hope it won't be too cold that weekend, but we are excited to explore the slick rock and canyons around the area!

The slot canyon was as narrow as advertised...at times I couldn't turn my head around to see behind me!  And if I took a deep breath, I could feel both sides of the rock pressing in.   It's not for the claustrophobic, that's for sure.  There is no way to pass someone coming the other way, but it's short enough I suppose it usually isn't a problem.  On this particular day we had the place all to ourselves.

The area has a lot of nice rocks to play on, and even a couple of arches.  For the first time we let Spot off the leash so he could play on the boulders.   It also has a great botanical garden near the slot canyon...the area is well worth a stop to explore the slot and stretch your legs.













No comments:

Post a Comment