Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

Dawn - Sometimes An Ultrarunner

May 4, 2011

Double marathon weekend (Yorkshire 3 Peaks)

Which way do we go, again?
The weather was so nice for the whole weekend, I couldn't help myself and went out walking  on the Sunday as well, after recovering a bit from the heat of the Easter Eggstravaganza Marathon the day before.   Actually, it turned out good, as I continue to be slightly worried, ok terrified about being ready for the 100 mile run at the end of May.  I figured doing back-to-back marathons might be a good way to get prepared.
The sky was overcast as we parked in Horton-in-Ribblesdale for an early start, but rapidly clearing.  Pen-y-Ghent had its head in the clouds at the summit as we topped it, but
The long walk across to Whernside
even that disappeared later.  We were already in t-shirt and shorts on the first climb, and it may have been (dare  I say it?) t he absolute best day to walk the 3 Peaks that I've ever seen?   It wasn't too hot, but nicely warm, barely a breeze, and 100% sunshine the entire day.  Beautiful. 
I didn't feel sore really at all from the previous marathon day, but we took the 24 miles at walking pace with plenty of time for picture stops.  The exception was around Whernside, where the hubby took the shortcut down the road skip the long slog up to the 2nd summit (It gave him extra time to take pictures and enjoy the sunshine).  I lightened my load a little (if you are taking the shortcut, can you carry my extra water bottle, pretty please?) and ran around the gradually climbing trail to Whernside.  The views were spectacular, I could see all the way to the sea and the peaks in the Lake District, and wished for the camera.  I made short work of the downhill section, and we met up again in the rock layers across the valley. 

The climb to Ingleborough was steep, but knowing it was the last one made it still a huff-and-puff effort to reach the top a breeze.  Unlike the last time I had done the 3 Peaks on New Year's Eve 2010, where we had howling winds, cold temperatures, thick fog, that I had almost gotten lost trying to reach the trig point!  Today there were sunbathers laying in the grass, full sunshine, and views of peaks in every direction.  We had a go ourselves of the soft grass and a rest in the sunshine, before dropping down off the 3rd and final summit of the day.

It was nice to see the whole route off Ingleborough in fogless visibility, as I had been quite confused while following the group down on New Year's Eve.  I think I'd still be lost up there somewhere otherwise!   Amazing how clear views and daylight can make routefinding so easy.  It was a nice afternoon stroll back down all the way to Horton in Ribblesdale, watching the baby lambs play on the moors. 


 
A tiny bog filled (to the brim) with tadpoles
A bug's eye view of the moors



Atop Ingleborough
Ribblehead Viaduct with Whernside in the background


3 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having some VERY NICE weather!!
    Great pictures, as usual. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day out on a great route. 50 miles over two days will definitely be good preparation for your 100 miler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got another set of back-2-back long runs this weekend, and then I will start the taper for the 100. Ready or not, here I come!

    ReplyDelete